Saturday, May 29, 2010

The death toll rises.


Now Dennis Hopper has peaced out? At age 74 too. That's not young. But it's really not that old either. If anything, it makes me feel old. The first movie I can recall seeing him in was Speed. I remember going over to my uncle's with the family to watch it, which was kind of odd because we never really did that. My parents must have been caught on the slide because that is definitely an R-rated film and I was definitely nine or ten years old at the time. Oops. I remember Hopper being a total psychopath, crazier than anything I had ever seen. A few years later I saw Waterworld in the theatre. The guy was still nuts, but this time as a one-eyed pirate. Then Easy Rider and Apocalypse Now, where I started to detect a pattern in his roles. Finally I came across Blue Velvet and was convinced the guy masturbated with sandpaper (pretty sure his character heavily influenced my friend, Cameron). He was in a lot of other stuff that I'm forgetting. I think he was an alcoholic in Hoosiers too. Anyways, his passing is a bummer. It's been a sad year for notables: Guru, Dio and now Hopper. I guess the real question is how Ozzy is still alive.

Final Isis show in Seattle on Tuesday. Agh. I'm torn over what to do. The sensible person in me says not to go since I don't have a job and shouldn't be frivolous with the cash flow. But then there's another part of me which says that (a) I haven't been to a show in over a year, (b) haven't ever seen Isis live, and (c) will never get to see them again. Revisiting their last record, Wavering Radiant, has me leaning towards the splurge. I don't know. Maybe I'll sell some plasma.

I'd also like to send a shout out to Jordan. He always comes through with the brews at Azteca for the afternoon happy hour rendezvous...even when they get shiesty by charging full price. $31.50 for two pitchers of domestic beer? Get the fuck out. This isn't some bougie lounge with tang aplenty. This is a Mexican-American "cantina" at 2:30pm that is two blocks from the goddamn Funtasia. Still, the man shelled out like it was no big deal. Props, daps and a handshake, my friend.

Josh! I don't normally use exclamation marks, because I think they're clownish. However, I am beyond stoked that you are moving back to Washington. I realize you have an overwhelming amount on your plate at the moment. But being a completely vain and selfish individual, I declare we shall be hanging when your ass comes west of the Cascades. Get 'er done.

CURRENT FAVORITE

Bruce Springsteen - The Ghost of Tom Joad (It's hard for me to believe that at one point I could have actually hated The Boss. But it's true. I was young and dumb, though - probably spinning Finch records like they were worth a damn. I think it was when I heard Nebraska that I was able to find appreciation. All the corny bravado I had previously associated with Springsteen was stripped down to the bare minimum - guitar, harmonica and vocals - and there emerged a great collection of stories about blue collar America. The Ghost of Tom Joad shares the same lyrical themes and subdued musical aesthetic with the subtle addition of background synths. While not quite as good as Nebraska, it's certainly one of The Boss's best albums.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels