Sunday, May 9, 2010

By the way...

...Bizkit is back.



I was 14 once. I was into this hot garbage for a hot minute. But before my crucifixion begins, understand this: I didn't grow up with any guide to music (outside of hip-hop). I didn't have older friends to provide a proper foundation by showing me the classics. I had to figure it out for myself. Missteps were inevitable. Limp Bizkit were one of them. I'm not sure what I was thinking. Or hearing. But that's all in the past now. There. I've manned up. I feel much better.

But seriously, what is this mess? What are Limp Bizkit coming back for? More specifically, who are they coming back for? I'm stumped. It would appear that the fanbase the band once had no longer exists; kids either eventually discovered good metal or jumped on the booming metalcore bandwagon of the early 00's. Whatever the case, support clearly began dwindling in numbers after the release of Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water and the band - along with the rest of rap-rock and nu-metal - faded into relative obscurity.

It was only a just couple of years ago that I was reminded of this band when Fred Durst made a cameo on House as a bartender - I had a good laugh at the sight of that balding dumbass on television again. But now that Limp Bizkit has returned with a new album, I'm not sure what to do with my laughter. On one hand, it might increase because LB is great fodder for unintentional humor; Durst, as I mentioned in an earlier post, is an old faithful for unknowing quotables.

But there is a part of me that expected more out of humanity. Expected that people would learn from their past mistakes (I did). In the wake of file-sharing and Myspace, quality music should have become more accessible (it did), killing any demand for bands like this. Oh how idealistic I am, trying to generalize my own experiences for everyone else. I guess all I can really do is proudly state that once I heard some halfway intelligent shit like Snapcase, Bizkit became obsolete.


Damn I love that song.

3 comments:

  1. You know...if it makes you feel any better, you can have all of the best musical guidance in the world as a young person (as I did) and for some reason you still fall in love with really, really bad music (as I did...with Limp Bizkit). There is just something about adolescence that...just makes you love really crappy things sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, I love that song, AND when the video came out, Caleb and I were obsessed with that song! Oh, back in the day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. EMILY: True. I guess the fault really can't be placed on the kids. It was an awkward time in our lives, so we latched on to dumb things. We didn't know any better. But Fred Durst should, since he was a full-grown man when LB was at the height of their popularity.

    JOSH: That song/band still gets me way pumped - makes me feel like I can pick up a car.

    ReplyDelete

Labels