Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Seattle Weakly

Today while I was at Lake City Storage, I deftly managed to lock my keys in the car. Stranded, I waited in the office until my dad could drop by with the spare. I found the latest issue of Seattle Weekly sitting on table next to me and decided to peruse it to kill time. Bad idea. Here are some examples of the stupidity I came across (approximate recollections, mind you).

1) The Appleseed Cast have not matched what they did on the Low Level Owl volumes. (Ridiculous pining for indie credibility taking place here. Two Conversations was, and still is, awesome. Not passable or decent. Awesome.)

2) The new Rocky Votolato record, True Devotion, is "ingenious". (Get off the jock. I understand that he's a local boy and deserves our backing. But I can't imagine that anybody who actually spent some time with this album, along with both Makers and The Brag & Cuss, feeling anything but a little underwhelmed. Sorry. The memorable songwriting isn't there. And if that's because it's overshadowed by the prior two classics, tough beans. Doesn't mean we need to pull out a free-praise card.)

3) New Found Glory and The Get Up Kids sound similar. (No. And I like both bands. The closest relation between TGUK and pop-punk is probably second cousin. Yeah, both bands are catchy and have a youthful energy to their sound, but TGUK had the whole second/third wave emo influence - depending on your timeline. Though I will say this: Not Without a Fight = best NFG record to date. Fight me.)

4) In reviewing a split 7" of Narrows/Heiress, only the Narrows material is referenced. (Way to dick a band that could use a little PR. It's only a 7" - not a lot of material to digest. A sentence or two would have been nice. Good or bad. Bad would have been better than a straight snub. Maybe the writers have beef with Pettibone.)

There was some cool stuff in there too, though. I read that there's at least 20 artists from Seattle representing at SXSW this year. Including Ivan & Alyosha. What up Ryan Carbary. I know you think I'm just some heavy metal boner. But I know you probably haven't read The Brothers Karamazov. I also hold all the Never Again material in high esteem, which must surely make you cringe. It's alright. You aren't reading this anyways.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, Dave, but I'm reading this, and I also have all the never again stuff!

    BTW the Seattle Weekly commentary made my day. (Though it's morning and the day just started, and the first thing I did after waking up was take indie for a shit, you still made my day)...

    Love,
    Joshua

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear that my unpopular opinion helped ease you into your day. I hope that if Carbary did somehow read this he wouldn't take it too personal. He's a good dude. But I said it; I meant it.

    So I'm listening to the new Rocky album again just to see if I was being unfair before. Don't think I was. There are definitely some good songs on here and nothing I would consider bad, but a Makers or Brag & Cuss, it is not. SW did a two-page layout on the release/him, kind of championing the fact that his lyrics are more positive now and less crying in beer. Whatever. Go write a book then. Head back to the studio when you've got tunes.

    I think I need some coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave, I don't think you're a 'heavy metal boner'. I don't know where you'd get that. Also, saw Rocky at SXSW, he played Montana, it was good.

    ReplyDelete

Labels