Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Grey Area - Fanbelt Algebra

Victory Records
(2000)

Burning adolescence. A time when music enraptured and literally answered all of life's problems. The doldrums of school could be remedied by a few chords. Blasting your favorite album was as good a reason as any to get in the car with friends and drive aimlessly until 2am. A good record store was both a necessity and the holy grail.

I have tried to find this in the music of today. I cannot. This may have less to do with a current lack of artistic quality, and more to do with a nostalgia associated with the sounds that comprised my formative years. In other words: maybe I have become an old, jaded curmudgeon.

Grey Area's Fanbelt Algebra happens to be one of those records that fires up the way-back machine for me. To the unfamiliar, this album might not resemble much other than a generic punk/hardcore release destined for obscurity in the dollar bin. But remember the relativity of experience that comes with being a teenager; quite early on in my punk rock odyssey, there was a freshness about everything fast and melodic.

I see no point of going into a massive amount of detail concerning Grey Area and Fanbelt Algebra. I can't seem to come up with a description of either that is worth phrasing. Each time I try, I just end up getting lost in reverie of old, unable to reference much in terms of specific characteristics - and I have the CD lying next to me. The first paragraph is the most honest representation of the music I can give, which might be a better description than any conventional inquiry. I hope.

Download

(Or here's a preview.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels