Tuesday, July 5, 2011

New & Old

Just saw The Thin Red Line for the first time. Slapping myself for not watching it earlier. That's partly due to the fact that when it came out all my friends were like "man, that was way boring." Fools. But such is often the case with youth when a film is on that next level. Great use of narration, focusing on a mind's philosophical meanderings rather than explaining everything to lazy viewers. Need to get my hands on the special edition so I can see the massive amount of footage that got cut from the theatrical release.

***

Actually, I have another Malick flick on deck: Days of Heaven. If you don't think wheat fields are pretty to look at, you should after watching this one. And it also allows you the chance to hear me utter a very rare sequence of words: "Richard Gere is in it and it's really good."

***

Played softball last week. Mixed feelings. Can still hit the ball - went about 7 for 8. But it's slow pitch so everyone should be stroking it. My problems were in the field. I played second base and lost count of how many errors I made. Apparently, I cannot field ground balls anymore. I mean, the field was a mess and I wasn't wearing a cup and was a little tentative playing the ball. Still...I don't know. I expected more out of myself.

***

Fourth of July was eventful. Hiked Mount Si with good friend Chelsea. We did the smaller of the two trails. I honestly found it to be less intense than Tiger Mountain. But that might be because at the time I hiked Tiger Mountain I had yet to start running on a regular basis. Inept cardio may render any comparison erroneous. After hiking, stopped off at Twede's - the infamous North Bend cafe to be featured in Twin Peaks (there known as the Double R Diner). And yes, they had a damn fine cup of coffee. Finished the day off with a PBS documentary on the Jonestown Massacre. Sort of a bumout way to close the holiday.

***

Let's fire up that jukebox. Excuse me while I give it a swift kick...



Fell in love with these guys when I first heard Dead Reckoning about nine years ago. Reminded me of a slightly more indie version of Hot Water Music. Has that perfect balance of catchy melodies and raw energy. This one is off their recent comeback record, Fell & Found, which isn't quite as stellar as some of their past work. Though that's probably just my 18-year old self speaking. Either way, it's good to have Small Brown Bike back doing their thing.

4 comments:

  1. Malick is the shit! The Thin Red Line is one of my favorite films of all time, and to me, it's the best movie about War I've ever seen. Because it's easy to show carnage and the pitfalls of soldiers/ranks, etc, but seriously, I want to know about the humans and how they deal with it, not what Hollywood wants us to believe soldiers are. Anyway. Yes: Days of Heaven. Richard Gere is in it and it's good. I'll say it and you'll say it. Mark my words. Malick just released The Tree of Life with Pitt and Penn. Heard it is really really brave, beautiful, and emotionally deep as shit.

    Second base + No Cup = ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE!?

    Hiking without me, Dave? Are you kidding?! HOW DARE YOU!! Actually, I'm glad you went. Now we can go hiking up there and you will know where to go. Is this hike something Em and I could strap Elliot to our backs and do? Hm. Ponder that.

    Em and I ate at Twede's once. Did not know that it had Lynch's mark on it. Nice.

    Oooh, I just commented a lot. I'm sure we'll talk about this on the phone, but you know, I need other people on the internet to know about our relationship.

    Elliot and Em say hi and come over soon with flicks that are awesome.

    Later,
    Joshuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuaaaaaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's what I call a comment.

    I believe Jordan also wasn't wearing a cup. He was at third base and made a couple of nice plays.

    I saw some other people carrying young ones on the trail. But I don't know. I think there are some other trails that might be better suited for a first time hike with little big man.

    Lynch just used the exterior of Twede's for Twin Peaks. Unless there have been some major renovations, the interior must have been shot somewhere else because it's completely different from is in the show. And I doubt there have been any renovations. The place looks like your typical been-here-since-forever cafe.

    Get at me and we can set something up. I will keep my eye out for sweet horror movies. My suggestion is that we watch The Thing because I know it's been ages for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, The Thing (Kurt Russell)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just had it shipped from the library. Should have it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Labels