Monday, September 13, 2010

Observations and musings

Seahawks home opener: Testosterone was a given. Though there were a surprising amount of Snookies flossing Tatupu jerseys, as well as grown men drinking Mike's Hard Lemonade. The other surprise was that the Seahawks actually looked good.

Jordan Young in 2010 displays flashes of Jordan Young circa 2003/2004. My sides are a little sorer for it.

A Confederacy of Dunces: Could be the funniest book ever. But the parallels between Ignatius J. Reilly and myself are the source of much distress (Proud owner of a worthless liberal arts degree which fosters an archaic and unhealthy ideological worldview that ultimately leads to misanthropy and cripples the ability to function socially and/or professionally within the greater commonwealth. He also lives with his mom.).

Boneshaker: An entertaining read. Felt like the author, Cherie Priest, watched 28 Days Later and played Fallout 3 before writing it. Unfortunately, a lack of character development and sequences of terrible dialogue keep it from being anything "literary". But who really cares about that? Maybe the guy in the paragraph above. So it gets my approval.

Found out my cat - The Murph - has liver disease. To diagnose the specific type would require an ultrasound and subsequent biopsy. Ultimately, the treatment is a daily regiment of medicine, regardless of which strain it might be. Having already been through force-feeding The Murph pills for prior ailments, we (my family) are deciding to forgo the diagnosis and treatment; better that his remaining days are peaceful, rather than living in fear of having things shoved down his throat.

Facebook. On one hand, it's the main way in which I stay in contact with my friends. But thanks to the voyeuristic nature of social networking, that permeable barrier between "friend-of-friend"...I end up unintentionally seeing things that are detrimental to my psychological and emotional well-being. Things that make an individual not into the cardio drive up to the local middle school to run five miles on a track at 7 o'clock at night. There might be a sad metaphor to be found in a guy running 20 laps with hopes of trying to escape/forget something. Good thing I don't pay those literary devices any mind. My legs, however, are in definite pain today.



Here's to brighter days. Don't have to be straightedge to enjoy this one. Love seeing my friend Kevin launching off the monitors. And goddamn those drums sound good.

2 comments:

  1. Well...even if you have a few things in common with Ignatius, at least you don't walk around complaining about your "valve" all the time. And your not horrifically overweight, either...which is why you were physically able to run 5 miles anyway. You do need that cardio, as we discussed.

    And sorry about The Murph. I'm glad you guys decided to let him leave this world with some dignity in tact. I'm sure he's grateful for the respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish Ignatius wrote editorials or an advice column like Dear Abby.

    To clarify, The Murph is not on his deathbed yet. Or if he is, you wouldn't know it. Besides a limp he's had since I moved back home, he behaves like the same cat I grew up with - which is to say he's a big goof. So I imagine he might be in the early stages of the disease. It's the not knowing when things will inevitably get worse that is hard to have in the back of my mind.

    ReplyDelete

Labels